Mixed Media Inchies


Hello again, everyone!    I am back with a bunch of mixed media inchies to show you!  If you are not already aware, an Inchie is just a 1-inch by 1-inch square that is arted up in some way.  If it was a 1-inch circle, that would be called a “Rinchie”.   I do have a video on this, so if you’d rather watch the video, scroll to the bottom of this post or follow this link.  (I will warn you now...I need to redo it.  The video wouldn't play back correctly on my laptop, so I wasn't able to edit it right.  It's super fast in parts and the subtitles are...well...I would have done it differently if I had know how it looked in the end.)




In this case, I joined in a swap where the host provided 8 inchies she punched from various scrapbook papers, and we had to art them up.  Then we would mail the finished inchies back for the host to swap out.  As of this post, I haven’t received the returns yet, so I am waiting on pins and needles to receive my returns.


If anyone knows me, then you know I like to make duplicates of my trading cards.  This is partly because with mixed media, I never really know if something is going to come out right, so I need a back-up that isn’t messed up to trade . The other reason is that I like what I make, so in the past, I would either keep what I made and miss out on a trade, or I would trade it and regret it later.  Now, by making two of everything, I get to trade the better looking art card and I can keep the one that I maybe goofed up on. With these inchies, I punched 8 ‘extras’ from my own scrapbook paper stash. 

The focal images were all done using stamps, and I will list those below and what I used to color them with down below.  Most of them were stamped on mixed media paper, but the two gentlemen from the Tim Holtz “Theories” stamp set were stamped on Tim Holtz tissue paper.  To color the images, I used the Kuretake Zig Color Real Brush Pens, Fabercastelle gelatos, and spray inks by Lindy’s Stamp Gang and Tattered Angels.  (By the way…if you live in the U.S. near a Tuesday Morning, go check out their craft section!  I bought all of my Tattered Angels sprays at their stores, and I am SO glad I did, because they are hard to find at other brick-and-mortar stores.)




~Dragonfly – unknown stamp, colored with Lindy’s Stamp Gang sprays (Hyachinth and Whale Watch Blue) and Tattered Angel’s spray (Blue Bell).

~Elephant: Stamper’s Anonymous Tim Holtz “Tiny Things”, colored with Faber Castelle gelato in Earl Grey.

~Gecko: Stamp from Carabelle Studio “Ginko”, colored with Faber Castelle gelatos in Iced Pear, Blueberry, and a couple of greens that were in a set. They didn’t have a name.

~Two gentlemen: Stamps are Stamper’s Anonymous Tim Holtz “Theories” and I stamped them on the Tim Holtz tissue paper.

 ~The two scribbly women: Dina Wakley’s “Scribbly Fashion.” I colored these with the Kuretake Zig Color Real Brush Pens.

~Butterfly: Stamp is “Butterfly Kisses” from BoBunny. I colored these with the Kuretake Zig Color Real Brush Pens.


Once everything was colored and fussy cut, I paired them with the backgrounds, and had some fun: I love adding visual texture, so all of the inchies had some combo of booktext (as an accent), washi tape, and words and phrases that I cut from a couple of books.  One of the books I used was a truly awful book of poems.  This is drivel at its finest, but I did manage to find some cool words and phrases in them!  (And that's just my opinion - apparently this lady and her husband were well-known and well-loved during their day.  All I know is that I am grateful that we never had to read this during English class!)  The other book is a suspense book I bought at a used book store.


              ~For the Dina Wakley ladies, I pulled out some leftover scraps from an old German grammar book and glued it behind the ladies.  I also pulled out my washi tapes, because washi makes everything better.  (True fact!)  The lady in the turban received the poetic words was "Her smile" and "Her look", and the blonde lady in blue received "Love me".  I thought those were fitting words for a pair (of a pair) of lovely ladies.
              ~For the Dragonflies, both inchies also got a bookpage/washi tape embellishment, and their words were "Be free to love" and "Be free to praise."
              ~For the Lizards, I just laid down two strips of washi tape.  Their words are: "Little friend" and "Gentle creature."
              ~For the Tim Holtz Gentlemen, I added color to the background with a turquoise liquid ink and the muted pink from Liquitex, then added some washi tape.  Their words were "Listen" and "Dark Shadows".
               ~For the Elephant, I added washi tape, outlined it with a white gel pen, and added the words "Courage" and "Dreams."  I know, I know...those are such cheesy, over-used artsy words, and I personally don't like words like that, but to be honest, I was running low on words!
               ~For the Butterfly, I added some washi tape and the words "Wonder" and "Brighter soul."

And that's it!  Hopefully you'll like the end product!  Until next time, thanks for stopping by!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICAD Warm-Up, Using a Viva Las Vegas Stamp

Valentine's Steampunk Artis Trading Coin