Valentine's Artist Trading Coin #3: Pair of Hearts

Hello, everyone!  Today I have number 3 of 4 Valentine's Artist Trading Coins to share with you!  This coin features a pair of pink hearts.   I also have a video at the bottom of this post and at my YouTube channel here.



I started off by punching out the coin shapes from mixed media paper and book text.   I glue the two together and put a light layer of gesso onto the bookpage.  I ended up covering it all with the paint, so in the end, using the book page as a layer was a moot point, haha.  I also cut two hearts ono printer paper, cut them out, and then used them as a template for cutting the hearts out of mixed media paper.

I pulled out my Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists in "Cherry" and "Pink Bell" and spritzed them onto the hearts.  I rarely ever use any of my sprays because I am guaranteed to make a mess, but this time I put the hearts into a cardboard box before spraying them, which really helped contain the mess!  I wanted my hearts to have a shimmer to them, and these glimmer mists are perfect for that.



I spritzed the two colors together and let them mingle, but as you can see, they were just too close in color for my liking, so I went back and spritzed the smaller heart with the Cherry just to make it a bit darker.

For the coin, I watered the acrylic paint down with water (Americana in Dark Scarlet) and smooshed the coin into it.  You see this technique a lot with the Tim Holtz Distress Inks and Oxides, but you can do this with any kind of paint or ink.  I lifted off some color with a paper towel, but felt I had taken too much paint off, so I used my fingers to spread a bit more paint back onto the coin.  This time, I felt the coin was too even in color, so I decided to mix a bit of gesso back onto the coin.


Happy with this, I added more visual interest by stamping background text onto the coin with Archival Ink in "Watering Can."  The Finnabair stamps from her "Postale" set was perfect for this. (You can find them at Michael's craft stores.)  

I felt it still needed something, so I also ended up adding washi tape in a pink polka dot and a black and white stripey/zig-zaggy pattern.  Happy with it, I glued down the hearts.



Now for the final touch - I used my Derwent Inktense pencil in Charcoal Grey to add shading around the hearts and the coin's edge.  Last was the sentiment that says "I Pink You So Much!"  (The person who will receives this is in LOVE with the color pink!)



And that is it for today!  Super quick, but I think it's still pretty.  I hope the person receiving it likes it!   If you want to watch my video on this, here you go!   Thanks for stopping by!  Until next time...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICAD Warm-Up, Using a Viva Las Vegas Stamp

Mixed Media Inchies

Valentine's Steampunk Artis Trading Coin