Monochromatic White Artist Trading Coins


Hello, and happy weekend everyone!  I am back (again) after taking a break to study for a computer certification course.  I am happy to say that I passed, yay me!  

This time around I made four artist trading coins for a monochromatic white (with some silvery glitter.)  It's hard to get the right angle to show the details of these coins, but I did my best. 


Monochrome white artist trading coins using glitter-gel mix through stencils, cheesecloth and die cuts.

For three of these, I put down bookpages and gessoed over it with white gesso.  I wanted to have that extra bit of interest, but I also wanted to keep to a monochrome color scheme.  The coin in the top left doesn't have a bookpage background, though, because I goofed on the original, then forgot to do the bookpage step when I redid it.  C'est le vie!  

Here are the tools I used:  
--2.5" circle punched from Canson Mixed Media paper
--Stencils: "Persian Gate" from The Crafter's Workshop (this is the one in the photograph); "Wildflowers" from My Favorite Things; Dina Wakley stencil (I'm not sure what the leafy stencil is called.)
--3D Gloss Gel by Prima (part of Finnabair's Art Basics collection
--Glitter in "White Gold" by Martha Stewart
--Spatula-shaped tool


I mixed "white gold" glitter with a gloss gel and used the mix thorugh stencils.

Too keep the glitter from shedding a making a total mess, I scooped out the 3D Gloss gel and mixed in generous portions of the glitter.  It's hard to know how much glitter to add, because the gel is a bit opaque before it dries, so I tend to add a little too much.  Better too much than too little, I always say!
When it's first spread through the stencil, it doesn't like much, but it dries clear without impacting the shininess of the glitter. 

On two of the cards, I pressed the mix through the stencil, and when it was dry, I glued a scrap of cheesecloth over it.  While the glue was drying, I ran a snowflake die and a wildflower die (both by Sizzix/Tim Holtz) through my Sizzix Sidekick.  The snowflake was cut from glitter paper, and the wildflower die was cut from mixed media paper, and then painted with a pearlescent Golden fluid acrylic.

On the other two, I glued the cheesecloth over the blank coin, and when the glue was dry, I used the glitter-gel mix through the wildflower stencils. 

I poured a generous amount of glitter onto the gloss gel, and made sure to mix it thuroughly before spreading it through a stencil.


I glued a scrap of cheesecloth onto the artist trading coin. When dry, I spread the glitter-gel mix through a wildflower stencil.

For the final touch, I used Tim Holtz remnant rub-ons on white scrapbook paper, and then cut to size. 

For these, I spread the glitter-gel mix through a stencil on the base coin. When dry, I glued a scrap of cheesecloth onto the coin. When that was dry, I glued a wildflower die cut (painted in pearlescent color) and a snowflake die (cut from glitter paper) onto the coin. I finished by adding a Tim Holtz rub-on quote. The die-cuts were both by Sizzix/Tim Holtz.  The Wildflower coin says "discover yourself" and the snowflakes says "be joyful".

For these two, I glued down the cheesecloth and spread the glitter-gel mix through a wildflower stencil. I finished by adding a Tim Holtz rub-on quote.  The quotes read "life artist" and "imagine peace".

I do wish the photos turned out better, but I don't know how to effectively take photos some something so shiny.  (I am open to any suggestions from those who have figured this out!)  That said, I love how these turned out, and hopefully their new owners will like them too! 

Thanks for stopping by, and hope you have a great weekend!



Comments

  1. Very interesting. I have never heard of artist trading coins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Roshanda! They are fun to make - doing artsy things on a round surface isn't new, but several months ago, Craftyhodges made a video and called them Artist Trading Coins. The video and coins took off from there! I work on 2.5" circles, but they can really be any size. If you are interested in Craftyhodges' video, you can watch it here: https://bit.ly/2PfUsz3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ICAD Warm-Up, Using a Viva Las Vegas Stamp

Mixed Media Inchies

Valentine's Steampunk Artis Trading Coin