Sun ATC and ICAD Day 6 (a failure)

Hello, everyone!  I am back with a pair of sun-themed Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) and to show my failed ICAD for Day 6. (There will be a surprise cameo from on my fur-babies, Chubby!)


I will start off positively, with the pair of ATCs.  These are for a swap on the ATCSforAll.com trading forums.  If you are interested in trading ATCs, I encourage you to check out this very friendly site!

I started off with the way I start most of my mixed media projects - by gluing down bookpages, this time with mod podge (sometimes I'll use soft gel medium.)  I covered the ATCs with a good layer of the mod podge to seal the cards, because I knew I would be using a lot of water later on.  For once, I didn't cover the book text with gesso.


After the mod podge had dried, I spritzed the cards with water and dropped yellows and oranges onto the card using DecoArt fluid acrylics and acrylic sprays.  I let the colors mingle by tilting the card and gently swirling the colors together with my fingers.  I dried the cards with my heat tool, and as you can see in the photo above, I lightly sketched the shape of a sun with a face.  (I don't often draw things, but I do want to do this more.)

When I was happy with the sketches, I used Dylusions Lemon Zest (yellow) paint to fill in the face a bit more.  I used the Dylusions because it's more opaque and will help the face stand out more.  I then went back and watered down some DecoArt fluid acrylic in Cadmium Orange Hue to create some shading around the eyes and nose area.  When it was dry, I mixed a tiny bit of magenta with some yellow fluid acrylic to make blush, and used the unmixed magenta for the lips.


I like it so far!  From here, I went over my pencil lines with a black Sharpie pen and used the orange paint to color in the circle just outside of the face to add a bit more depth, but I didn't paint rays.  I didn't want to cover the book text completely, though I did end up painting the background in a darker blue.  I decided the blue was too solid, so I went back and stamped a text stamp from BoBunny in Archival Ink (in Watering Can).  To finish, adding a doodled border and dots in the outer face-ring. And viola!  A pair of sun cards! I'm quite happy with them - the one on right is the one I'm keeping, since I accidently got a splotch of blue in the sun's ray.



And now for the failed ICAD.  I won't go through the whole process of how I made it.  I goofed up somewhere, and I'm not exactly sure where.  Maybe I used too much color in the background, so that the horse didn't stand out enough.  Maybe trying to do something more detailed in the messy style I like just doesn't work.  I don't know.  I tried to salvage it by painting the horse with gesso, but finally gave up.  It just doesn't work.  And you know what?  That's okay.  It's just an index card.  Not a big deal.  :-)



And now...for what you all have been waiting for... (::eye roll::)  I introduce to you, CHUBBY!


I was watching artsy videos last night, and Chubby decided that he wasn't getting enough attention, and decided to push the issue by laying on my stomach. In between me and the laptop.  ...he is very cute, but doesn't make a very good window, does he?  Hahaha!

Thank you for stopping by!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICAD Warm-Up, Using a Viva Las Vegas Stamp

Mixed Media Inchies

Valentine's Steampunk Artis Trading Coin