Index Card A Day (ICAD) - Day 8

Hello, everyone!  I am back with my eighth index card (ICAD).  Yes, I've fallen behind a bit, but that's okay.  For this card, I wanted to collage with leftover bookpage and a chevron stamp.  Chevron because I like the shape, collage because this is something I almost never do...and while I admire those who seemingly are able to lay down papers and make it look Mah-velous dahling, this is a thing I struggle with.  So what better way to practice than on an index card!





I prepped the card by gessojng the paper several times with regular Liquitex gesso and Art Basics heavy gesso.  No matter how many times I layered it on, I still couldn't really hide the blue lines on the index card!  I was really getting frustrated too, because gesso can cover just about anything.  The blue and pink ink just kept bleeding through no matter how many layers I used.

Oh well.  Moving on!  While the gesso dried, I pulled out my bookpage scrap bag and stamped on a blank strip with the chevron stamp. Next, I pulled out a bunch of leftover bookpage scraps and layered and arranged and rearranged...  Again, I struggle when I try to arrange papers into a pleasing format, but I eventually settled on something simple: the chevron-stamped paper, a piece from a Japanese grammar book and a piece from a music page.

I sealed everything with Mod Podge, because I knew I would be pulling out my spray ink later.  At this point, I decided the card needed some dimension, and for this, I went with light modeling paste.  I don't have a chevron stencil, though, so I improvised.  I pulled out my Tim Holtz Zigzag stencil and taped off part of it so that it made the chevron pattern I needed.



Now comes the fun part!  I pulled out my Lindy's Stamp Gang spray inks in Merci Boucoup Mint, Tiffanylou Blue and Hydrangea Blue. It wasn't colorful enough, so I went back and added some Screamin' Banshee Black.  I stood the card on it's end and dabbed the colors on the top edge, spritzed, let the colors run, dabbed again....you get the idea. Lather, rinse, repeat.


Now that it's suitably dark (I don't know why I didn't just let it stay the lighter color, except that I LOVE the Screamin' Banshee Black...I even added splatters with it), I needed to add some lighter color back into the card.  This isn't the easiest thing to do though, because the Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays are very water reactive.  I painted Liquitex gesso back onto the modeling paste chevrons with a brush, and even this needed several applications.

I decided I was perilously close to overworking what was supposed to have been a simple card, so I pulled out my Stabilo marks-all pencil and added shadows to the modeling paste chevrons and to the bookpages.  I finished with a Tim Holtz Chitchat quote that perfectly summed up my mood...  I just wanna make nice things.

That's it for today - I hope you enjoyed it.  Thanks for stopping by!

























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICAD Warm-Up, Using a Viva Las Vegas Stamp

Mixed Media Inchies

Valentine's Steampunk Artis Trading Coin