Index Card A Day (ICAD) - Day 12

Hello, everyone!  Welcome back!   Today, I'd like to show my twelfth index card.   For this card, I decided to use a modeling paste background, Liquitex Acrylic Ink and the Tim Holtz Paper Dolls.


Instead of using a bookpage as my base layer, I decided to use paper that I took from my of Flow Magazine Book for Paper Lovers. I tore a page into strips, and glued them down.  The paper had a different pattern on each side, so I alternated between the busier print and the subtler print.  At this point, I didn't know where I was going, but in the end, you don't even see the paper. (Of course.)  When the mod podge dried, I brushed a thin layer of gesso over it.  At this point, you can still see the base layer.


I needed some texture, so I pulled out a Finnabair stencil that was part of a stamp/stencil set called Flowers on the Deck.  This is one of the sets that Michael's recently started setting. I used Golden Light Modeling paste through the stencil, and while the stencil was still laid over the index card, I tapped on top of the paste with the palette knife.  I did this because I wanted a rougher surface instead of a nice, smooth design.  I'm not sure if you can see that in the pictures, but there's nice little peaks and valleys in the modeling paste.

When the paste dried, I pulled out my Liquitex muted acrylic inks in Muted Pink, Muted Violet and Muted Turquoise.  I thoroughly wet the page and dropped some ink onto the wet paper. I used my spray bottle to wet it even more (can't be too wet, right?) and tilted the card this way and that to help the ink spread and blend. The muted turquoise is a bold color and almost took over the page!


It dries a bit lighter than what you see in the photo above, and I decided I needed some black, so I pulled out my Daler-Rowney black acrylic ink, lightly spread it on the bottom of the page and sprayed it with water.  I used a paper towel to dab up the color from the areas that was too dark, and reapplied it.


I dried the page, and pulled out my Inka Gold metallic wax paste in Old Silver.  The thing is almost completely dry, and I really need to get another one, but for now, I spritzed some water on it, and that seemed to help revive the paste.  I used my finger to rub the wax paste onto the peaks an ridges of the modeling paste.  I just LOVE the effect it has - it adds a bit visual interest, I think.

I finished up by gluing down a few strips of cheesecloth, a Tim Holtz paper doll of two sisters, and a quote from one of his chitchat packs.  I thought about coloring the cheesecloth, but the card itself has a lot of bold colors, so I think leaving it white helps offset that.  I also added a bit of shading around the little girls with my stabilo marks-all pencil.  And it's done!

I hope you like it!  Until next time, thank you for stopping by!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICAD Warm-Up, Using a Viva Las Vegas Stamp

Mixed Media Inchies

Valentine's Steampunk Artis Trading Coin