Alterned Rolodex - A Snarky New Year

Hello and welcome back!  I'm so sorry for the disappearance, but I was in a class that ate into my artsy time, but now I am back with a trio altered rolodex cards for you.  These fun little beauties are for a "Snarky New Year's Resolution" swap on the ATCs For All site I trade at.   I was excited for this swap, as it gave me a perfect excuse to use the new Dina Wakley Essential Silhouette stamps that I had just bought.  I blame MixedMedia Jenn; she had been using stamps from this and a another stamp set over on her YouTube channel, so I eventually broke down and bought them.  I just needed an reason to use them, and this swap was the perfect venue!

Three altered mixed media rolodex cards with snarky New Years resolutions. Card one is green and blue with a Dina Wakley silhouette stamped onto tissue paper, and it says "If you're very quiet, you can just hear New Year's resolutions breaking all over the world."  Card two is blue and green with a Dina Wakley silhoutte stamped onto tissue paper, and says "My New Year's Resolution is to remain perfect. You, however, still need work."  Card three is pink and grey with a Dina Wakley silhouette stamp and says "May all your troubles last as long as your New Year's resolutions."

To start with, the rolos I used are cut from Canson mixed media paper.  I have a circular rolodex file with the 1.25x4" cards, but those are too thin to handle what I'd put them through, even if I glued multiple layers together.  Also, since these rolos are for a swap, I needed to make sure they were made on quality paper.

I used two different methods to make the base layer; on two of them, I loosely brayered Dylusions acrylic paint onto the rolo.  On one, I used Fresh Lime and on the other, I used Peacock.  When those cards were dry, I pulled out two different stencils (on the green rolo, I used a Tim Holtz stencil, and on the blue rolo I used a Heidi Swapp stencil) and I swapped the colors so that the green rolo had a blue patterned layer, and the blue rolo now had a green patterned layer.  On the pink rolo, I used my fingers to spread paint in Blush (also a Dylusions paint) and a light grey (a DecoArts fluid acrylic.)  When that was dry, I dabbed a Dylusions Fuschia through a stencil I've had for years.


I brayered paint onto the card, and when dry, I dabbed a complementary color through a stencil. One card is lime green with blue paint dabbed through a stencil. Card two is Dylusions "Peacock" blue with a lime green dabbed through a stencil.

While everything was drying, I used my Misti stamp tool to stamp the silhouettes onto a piece of tissue paper that had a faded text on it.  I stamped twice because I usually make two of each project - for myself and one for the trade.  The one I keep is usually the 'experiment' card and the one I trade is the better looking card.   Anyhow - I love the look and feel of tissue paper, even if you really can't tell what it is on the card.  I fussy cut the images, and set those aside.

Dina Wakley silhouettes stamped onto tissue paper that has a faded text on it.

When the paint on the rolos were dry, I did some background stamping on them.  On the blue and pink rolos, I used a tiny text stamp with the Ranger's Watering Can Archival ink.  On the green rolo, I used a 'cracked' stamp from a Tim Holtz grungy background stamp set.  You end up not seeing the cracked pattern in the final rolo, unfortunately, but the quote I planned to use was the "you can hear resolutions breaking all over the world", so at the time it made sense.

I then took my beloved black stabilo marks-all pencil and loosely drew a circle, then I used a white acrylic paint and filled in the circle.  I'd seen this used in a lot of different artsy videos, and for some reason, I loved the look, so it was something I wanted to do too.  When it was dry, I use a color-coordinated gelato to add a little extra color to the circle.  I then used a water brush to activate the stabilo marks.

I stamped a 'crack' background stamp and a tiny text stamp onto the card. I then created circles with a stabilo marks-all pencil, white acrylic paint and just a bit of colored gelatos.

I finished the rolos by gluing the trimmed silhouettes over the circles, adding the quotes and splattering the rolos using black and white acrylic paint.  The quotes are:

1. Green:  If you're very quiet, you can just hear New Year's resolutions breaking all over the world.
2. Blue: My New Year's resolution is to remain perfect.  You, however, still need work.
3. Pink: May all your troubles last as long as your New Year's resolutions.

I glued the silhouettes onto the circles, added the snarky quotes, and lightly splattered the rolos with black and white paint.

And that's it!  What do you think?  I love how they turned out, and hopefully their new owners will like them too.

Thanks for stopping by, and see you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICAD Warm-Up, Using a Viva Las Vegas Stamp

Mixed Media Inchies

Valentine's Steampunk Artis Trading Coin