Proverbs - Artist Trading Cards

Hello, and welcome back!  Today I am showing four artist trading cards I made with the theme of "Proverbs."  Two are mixed media and two are mostly watercolors. I didn't take pictures of these cards in process, unfortunately.  I was enjoying making these cards and just sort of...forgot.



 "Turn your face to toward the sun and the shadows fall behind you. ~Maori Proverb"
For this card, I put down a layer of watercolors in shades of yellow, orange, blues, greens and a bit of bright pink. I was a little worried that these colors may make mud, however, everything turned out great in the end. Once the watercolor was dry, I added some stamping with a script stamp, a Seth Apter background stamp and archival ink.  The Seth Apter stamp is that swirly circle one that you see inside the silhouette.
I sketched the figure lightly with a pencil, and painted around the figure with watered down acrylic paints. For this, I used the Dina Wakley acrylics as they were more opaque than the fluid acrylics I've been using. I used yellow for the area in front of the figure and orange behind the figure.  This was to try and give the impression that the figure is looking towards a warm light (ie, the sun). I used very thin layers because I still wanted to be able to see the background I'd made. I finished by doodling a border.  The proverb was printed with a label maker, but I went a little too wild at outlining the words, I think.


"Coffee and love taste best when hot. ~Ethiopian Proverb"
For this card, I glued a bookpage onto watercolor paper and lightly gessoed over it. When it was dry, I spritzed it with water and added blue fluid acrylic.  I let it run and swirl, then set it aside to dry.  I pulled out my Tim Holtz coffee mug stamp and a sketchy heart stamp from an other Tim Holtz stamp set. I stamped the mug onto mixed media paper and painted it using a Distress marker and Faber-Castelle Pitt marker. I fussy cut the mug and used Stickles glitter glue to add a bit of sparkle to the darker pink.
On my card, I stamped the heart with white gesso, but this didn't come out as white as I was hoping for, so when it was dry, I went back over it with white acrylic paint pen.  The word "Love" inside the heart was from the same Tim Holtz stamp set that the heart came from. I added the quote, some washi tape and the coffee mug...and this card was done!


These next two are all watercolors, so there's no need to explain the process.  Although, I did stamp the background of the nut card with archival ink.  The proverbs are:
"If ye like a nut, crack it. ~Scottish Proverb"
"Every path has its puddle. ~English Proverb"



And that's it for today!  I hope you like what you see.  Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICAD Warm-Up, Using a Viva Las Vegas Stamp

Mixed Media Inchies

Valentine's Steampunk Artis Trading Coin