Index Card A Day (ICAD) - Days 4 & 5

Hello, everybody!  I am back with two more ICADs to show you!






The first one follows the prompt of "Ferris Wheel".  I glued down scrap bits of book text, and then for added measure, I also put down some strips of washi tape; you don't really see them when I am finished, but a piece here and there does peek through.


After this, I scrapped white gesso over the card, then went back with a paper towel and lifted some of the color.  At this point, I got so involved in this card that I forgot to take photos of my progress!  Yeesh!  Anyway, I dabbed drops of acrylic paint in Transparent Red Iron Oxide (DecoArt fluid acrylic) and Quinacrodone Magenta (Golden fluid acrylic).  I spritzed it with a lot of water, tilted the card, and pushed the color around with my fingers.  It was a fun mess!

Look at how those colors mix and blend together!  I was surprised at just how much I love this color combo.  As you can see in the photo above, I sketched a Ferris Wheel shape.  I tried to make it so that you are looking up at this very tall structure - that's why it looks a bit skewed and off. (Plus the fact that I can't really draw, yet!)  I went over my sketched lines with a Stabilo marks-all and spritzed the heck out of it to make it run.  While the paper was still wet, I went back over the lines with the marks-all to darken the lines. I decided to finish by outlining the edges of the card with the marks-all, making splatters with the magenta and red iron oxide acrylics, and stamping a Tim Holtz sentiment on a scrap piece of book page.  You can see the end result below.  I LOVE IT!  I am so happy with this card!  



For Card 5, I decided to use five of ce a my own prompt cards instead of the one provided by Daisy Yellow. (queues or lines).  The cards I blindly picked were (in the order that I ended up using them):
          --Add numbers
          --Use Inktense blocks or pencils
          --Trace a stencil pattern
          --Use crackle medium
          --Add something metallic

I did my usual thing of gluing down a piece of bookpage, then gessoed over it.  I then added a border with a Tim Holtz ruler stamp. I wish I hadn't done that, but at this point, I didn't know where I was going with the card. I then pulled out a numbers stamp from the Tim Holtz Special Delivery set in Archival Ink (Watering Can.)   


I felt the stamps were too bold, so I gessoed them again to push them back into the background. My next prompt was to use Inktense, so I pulled out blocks in a green and blue shade (1510 & 1220), wet the heck out of the page, and smudged the blocks around in the water.  I pushed the colors around with my fingers until I was happy with it. 


The next prompt was to trace a stencil pattern.  The colors said "nature" to me, so I pulled out my nature stack and selected the Ginko Leaves stencil by Crafter's Workshop. I love this stencil!  I traced a leaf with a pencil, then I colored it in with the Dylusions acrylic pen in Black Marble.  (Happy again, because it was the first time I'd used these.)




Still happy with this. The next prompt was to use a crackle medium, so I used the DecoArt Crackle Paste through a different leaf in the stencil. And here is where it starts to go awry, because the crackle medium barely crackled.  I let it air dry, but I think it may have been too warm or humid. 


I thought I would add more visual interest by painting it green, but that didn't work at all.  I didn't like the end result, but I had to press on!   The last step was to add something metallic, so I put a Number 5 brad in the corner.  I finished by adding a Tim Holtz sentiment on a bookpage, stamped a border (Friskars Borders-A-Plenty) and outlining the ginko leaves with a white gel pen and a black Sharpie marker. 



And that's it for now!  Thank you for stopping by! 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICAD Warm-Up, Using a Viva Las Vegas Stamp

Mixed Media Inchies

Valentine's Steampunk Artis Trading Coin